mom's apple pie

George and I headed to Maine to visit my family for Thanksgiving and we ate lots of pie!  We got there a day early to beat the storm and when we showed up, my mom was in the kitchen with her apron.  She looked so adorable, I asked her if I could take her pictures making her pie.  Here is my mom's home-made apple pie from the apples from the trees on their property.  I was happy to learn, no pesticides were applied to the apple trees.

Do you know why pies taste so great?  It's in the crust.  The secret ingredient is Crisco and butter for the dough.  Oh my!  Another trick is don't touch the dough while you are making the pie.  Use saran wrap to roll the dough.  Place a few drops of water on your surface for the saran wrap to stick, then roll the dough.  When you are ready to construct the pie, lift the dough by the saran wrap and place it in the dish and on the pie.  Mom added brown sugar and cinnamon to the apples and baked in the oven.  A trick to make the top golden brown is to add a little milk to the top layer.  The pie was delicious!  I can't wait to try this at home for the next holiday.

What is your favorite pie?  My dad made a delicious sweet potato pie.  Now off for a walk to burn off all that pie. 




Comments

  1. LoVe, LoVe, LoVe this post ... and the beautiful, dreamy mood of the photos.

    AND the pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose! My mom means the world to me and she has taught me so many valuable lessons. I love to see her create and work right along side her. The pie was delicious! =)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts