monhegan in a day


Waking up to the fog in the early hours of the morning seemed to be the perfect atmosphere for a day trip. It was five o’clock and I awoke before the alarm even sounded.  Most mornings, I seem to become conscious without even an alarm to wake me. Our plan was to visit Monhegan Island during our stay with the family at Owl’s Head, Maine.  Corey had shared her memories of the trips and time she had spent on Monhegan with me and she wanted  to take me there to have our own experience to travel together and explore for ourselves. The Maine coast has so much to offer: ocean air, spring flowers and spruce trees imprint such an amazing aroma on the senses that it feels as though natures’ intoxication could sustain us indefinitely.  Upon my waking I had dreams that bordered on nightmares so it was welcome awakening that I get out of bed and make my way downstairs in the cottage to start the coffee brewing.  We drank our full cups with a little maple syrup for sweetness and off we went for the ferry in Port Clyde.

As we meandered through the winding roads on Owl’s Head making our way to the port of Clyde, we listened to Teacher Man narrated by the author Frank McCourt. He narrated his experience of teaching high school in New York City for thirty years and was a wonderful way to pass the time while driving on vacation.  Arriving at Port Clyde, Corey purchased the tickets that she reserved the day before by phone and made our way into the general store. A beautiful old building with everything a traveler could need. Two breakfast sandwiches and an iced tea and soon we would be on the Laura B. As we waited for the ferry to depart, Corey shot photos of the fog, lobster boats, Mainers and travelers to Monhegan.

Corey noticed a couple she knew and said hello to John and Winnie Murdock, owners of Shining Sails B&B.  A place she stayed on her first visit to Monhegan island for a week as a present to herself for graduating massage school while working full time.  She told them that we were headed to the island for the day and introduced me.  They own two inns on the island and another in Port Clyde.  They looked like hard working people who are constantly on the move.  Something about the dock was so familiar to me.  I spent twenty-five years visiting my grandparents who lived on an island in Greece; I was starting to get a little nostalgic.  Their tiny part of the world was called Platanistos, also known as “Cava Doro”, or the Hard Cove.  A village of hard working peasant farmers who like my grandparents had only what the land and the sea gave them. 

We were treated to a few stories and jokes from Bob the retired truck driver, who in his trucking hay-day would drive the route from Maine to Florida on a regular basis.  He asked us if we were from the Milford area and we said no.  That was one of his gas stops on route ninety-five. As Bob was sharing his story, and reaching its crescendo, the captain made his announcement that we would be departing for the island.  Bob said that it was nice to meet us and said to Corey, take care of this guy.  I think sometimes people get the feeling that I listen a bit too well to their stories.  Making our way down the steep pitch of the ramp onto the boat Corey was still taking pictures.  We found some not so dry seats, laid down our rain jackets to sit on and the ferry pulled away from the port of Clyde.

The water was perfectly calm and people were already lying down on the benches, as it seemed that we were not the only ones that didn’t sleep so well.  For the first few minutes all was going smoothly then Corey got up and walked to the nearest door.  What was the matter, I thought to myself.  I approached her and said, “Is everything alright?” She told me that between the cologne that the man sitting in front of us was wearing, the diesel fumes and the vibrations of the boat she was getting a little sea sick. I felt for her and sat next to her on the outside deck bench.  Having an upset stomach on the ocean is never fun and it has happened to me before.  She was able to make it to Monhegan without getting sick by standing outside and I was relieved for her.

Arriving at the dock on Monhegan I was a bit overwhelmed by how underwhelming the size of the dock was.  I was shocked and loving every second of it and taking it all in. People were already waiting above us and looking down and it felt like we were on stage, but not in a good way.  The pick up trucks were packed into the port like sardines, waiting to pack up the luggage and supplies needed for visitors stay on the island.  The Barnacle was a coffee and bakery right on the pier and had just what Corey needed for an upset tummy: Coca Cola!  Friendly service in the morning with a smile made our first contact with islanders extremely pleasant.  I walked back outside and it finally hits me that I am here.  On the island, my mind always takes a few minutes to catch up to my body.  I look around and take in the sights and smells of the port.  People were moving purposely, loading and unloading cargo, it was a beautiful sight.  The sound of a strong woman says, “Hey, need you to move this red truck out, we gotta get this pick up in here.” It was like an automobile puzzle.

For some reason I had pictured something a little different when I imagined our arrival, but that is what is so amazing about life: the unexpected.  Corey and I started walking up the hill, past the Island Inn and onto the dirt roads of the island.  I did not see one inch of pavement on the island, another resemblance to my summers in Greece and that made me feel good.  As time moves forward some things will be lost forever. We started up the path towards the woods and Corey was already shooting photos like a solider with a machine gun in the heat of battle.  I stood in front of the little Monhegan schoolhouse and posed for Corey as I am a teacher.

The farther we walked up into the woods the quieter I noticed sounds became.  It is something that we all live with in populated areas: noise pollution.  It was such a strange comfort to hear no automobiles, people and heavy machinery.  We made a right off the main trail onto some private land that is open to visitors, as long as they are respectful to the land.  As we meandered through the tiny trail, Corey said welcome to fairyland! We were in the fairy forest.  I wore my Vans, which were a footwear disaster in the woods that had been soaked the night before with a heavy rainstorm.  A few steps into the muddy wet woods and I had to make a change into my crocks.  Oh well, plan better next time I guess.  If I thought that just going to Maine for a little vacation was a good thing, it just got even better with the dreamlike forest on Monhegan.

We were walking up and down the ledges on the edge of the island; made it out to the vistas for some breathe taking views and I handed Corey the petal of a wild rose that was in the shape of a heart. There is some kind of magic in the air on Monhegan.  We had a wardrobe change from our cooler weather clothing to some summer clothing.  No one was around.  Down some slippery roots on the trail Corey lost her sunglasses.  We asked a couple whom we had seen on the ferry to keep their eyes out for them. Around this time we saw a wild pheasant, which I had never witnessed before.  It was a wild cock.  Just after this time we came upon the wreckage of the D.T. Sheridan.  So much rust covers the ship’s body that it didn’t resemble a ship at all just a curved hull.  

When I walk I get hungry.  It doesn’t even compare to bike riding.  I can ride for two hours and not feel hungry, but walking seems to create a hunger like no other.  So we proceeded into town and straight for the nearest food stop on Fish Beach.  I spotted a woman in her fifties carrying a specials sign from a small seafood eatery.  I walked down the path and saw the closed sign on the door.  We waited by the water, as did an older couple, so I hoped that this was clue about the food.  Word to the wise when traveling: look for the out of the way or edge of town food spots.  You can bet you will find great food at half the cost.  I ordered a lobster roll, crab quesadilla, fish chowder and potato chips.  Corey made her way to procure a beer for us to share and the meal was complete.  Did I mention that the roll was butter toasted?

While we were eating we saw something that was out of character for Monhegan. A huge delivery ship was bringing a large dump truck to the shore. Was this the omen of shifting tides on the island?  Is the island becoming over constructed?  Is the once secluded island changing its quant facade for the modern facelift?  Sadly Monhegan is not the only place where this is happening.  We finished our delicious lunch and made our way to see some more sights of the island. We stopped into a gallery to purchase a writing utensil and view the art that was on display.  Most of the art consisted of works by artists in residence and regular visitors who love the island.

It was just about 1:30 and we decided to venture up the hill to the lighthouse and visit the Monhegan historical museum. A bit earlier Allison Hill, a friend of Corey’s and painter told her that there was an art opening for Susan Gilbert at the Island Inn and that we should stop by.  We also stopped into another artist’s gallery, Kevin Beers.  Corey just so happens to have a portrait painting of her old boyfriend in her collection.  I was having some feelings that I couldn’t necessarily figure out, was it the atmosphere of the island’s aura?  Finally the museum opened and we went inside to see the past come alive.  A small tribe of Native Americans used to use the island during the summer months for a fishing outpost.  The white people came and the rest is history.  There are a handful of families who have been here for generations.

While we had been in the museum, the weather started to shift and it was getting colder.  Corey took the opportunity to use the rest room and change clothing back to cold weather attire.  I will also mention that most of the people I noticed to be the biggest visitors were active couples and retirees. We started making our way back towards “town” to visit the art opening.  Before that we made sure to stop into the Eider Duck Café for a couple of lattes to keep us going.  They have unique gifts and artwork for sale at affordable prices.  After that it was straight over to the Island Inn.  At first when we walked into the Inn the numbers of people in the lobby and dining area astounded me.  On the island, when something like an art opening is happening all of the inhabitants and visitors are there with bells on. We looked a bit out of place with our hiking attire and backpacks on, and we didn’t care, once we made our way over to the free provisions we blended right in.  Corey made her way through the crowd to say hello to Allison Hill and I made my way to the nearest corner to have a seat and observe the gaggle of art lovers.

It was really great meeting Allison.  Corey had bartered with her in the past when she had come to the island on her previous visits, art for massage. We were making conversation with Allison and as is with art openings it is very hard to have a private conversation without other people sliding in (who are these people I have never met before?)  So much for Corey having the opportunity to catch up with an old friend.  We made the best of it.  A woman who visits the island every year, shared her history to the island and her family in connection to Allison's art.   By this time the place was getting noisy and hard to hear people speaking from a close proximity.  Allison asked me what I thought of the island, so I paused as I often do when people ask me my opinion and I said, "The island feels a lot like my fathers island village in Greece.  It has a dark magic about it.  The people are friendly but have a serious attitude about them. Very salty, hard working and self-reliant."  Allison looked at me and her eyes lit up.  She said, "That’s exactly the island in a nutshell.  That’s so true, I feel like you totally get the essence.”

We decided to make our way out of the Inn and take some pictures on the front lawn, overlooking the water and sitting in Adirondack chairs.  I was feeling the time counting down on our day trip. The Barnacle called to us once more, we purchased a few treats and gifts for the family, waited inside where it was nice and warm, played a game of kings in the corner (a game Corey's grandmother taught her as a child) as we passed the time before our ferry took us back to the Maine coast at Port Clyde.  So many of the experiences I have had when traveling have given me lessons to learn from.  I am so lucky to travel and take in all that my senses can absorb.  Just like walking around the fishing port of Karistos in Greece as a child.  I was a sponge.  Our ferry made it through the stormy waters home to Port Clyde and Corey was prepared with Dramamine this time, the ocean swells didn't upset her one bit.   We were both sad to leave the shores of Monhegan and are hopeful to return with open hearts once more.  A day trip isn't enough to absorb the richness of the island and it's people.

What is your favorite destination getaway?  Do you prefer active, restorative, historical or cultural?  The ocean, mountains, city or the woods?  Share your peaceful place with us.



Story by George Mastrogiannis




Comments

Popular Posts