the lighthouse at beavertail

A dear friend of mine recommended we stop in Jamestown, Rhode Island and go to the Beavertail Lighthouse, so that's exactly what we did on our way home from Newport and we all agreed, it was a beautiful destination.  Upon arrival, there was a parking lot with grassy paths that led to various outlooks over the rocky cliffs of the ocean.  A birds paradise as they flitted over our heads and sang their songs.  The sun dipped behind the clouds and the fog began to roll in.  We meandered our way through the paths and came to a large open field where we spied plein air painters and the lighthouse in the distance.  There were a few people eating their picnic dinners and a sign that read Yoga.  What a wonderful, peaceful place to do outdoor yoga.  

I can only imagine what the ocean looks like on a sunny day.  I was intrigued by the fog as it created a moody, mysterious feeling that you might read in a novel.  My friend spotted a woman with red hair and a long flowing black dress so I made my way down the rocks where she and her friend and son were feeding the seagulls.  I asked if I could take her portrait and at first she said no.  I commented that she looked hauntingly beautiful and that I didn't need to take photos of her face.  I wanted something mysterious to capture the mood.  She changed her mind and I was grateful she did.  It was the perfect way to end a memorable day with friends.  My photography is meant to invoke emotion and tell a story and she was the perfect subject.

I have learned a valuable lesson and am strengthening my confidence when I approach strangers.  It's not easy to ask if I can take someone's photo for fear of rejection.  Even in rejection, I am learning to change someone's mind to give them an opportunity to see themselves differently.  I want them to see their beauty.  Thus my motto, eye sea beauty.   Most people that at first said no, have been happy with the results and we both learn something from one another.  The kindness of strangers and fearlessness are what I strive to seek.  I want to meet the people of the world and hear their story and convey that message in my photography.  Ultimately, to make a difference.

I know my purpose.  Have you pondered your purpose on this earthly walk?  What moves you?


  

Comments

Popular Posts