Maine life

I grew up in Connecticut, but I have always considered Maine my second home.  People always think I'm from Maine because I talk about it so much.  I only wish my folks lived closer so I could see them more often.  I cherish the time we spend together.  My parents have taught me so much.  How to be self sufficient, care for the land and respect wildlife.  How to cut, stack wood and heat your home with a wood stove, how to shoot a gun and how to cook my meals.  You name it.

It's not easy living up here where all you can see is woods, convenience is far away.  Relationships are key where neighbors and friends support one another.  My parents have always grown their own food and hunted for deer to feed the family.  It's the best meat you can eat, no growth hormones and talk about organic.  Their friends gifted George and I with canned beets and relish.  A real treat we look forward to enjoying this winter.  My dad made his special pickles and my mom made jam.  I only hope I can carry on their ways as we spiral into this new world where convenience and computers seem to cloud self reliance.  Every time I come back to Connecticut, I miss the vast open space and stillness of Maine life. 

“the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.”

~Ralph Waldo Emerson



Comments

  1. Lovely post ... in word and image. And yes, I *did* think you were from Maine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't get there from here. Ha ha! Thank you sweetheart. Maine is so beautiful and peaceful. I can see why my family loves it there.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts